Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Anderson & Ferrin Anderson & Ferrin
  • Free Initial Consultation
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

Kissimmee Relocation Lawyer

Ideally, after a divorce with children involved, the parents will stay relatively close to each other to make child custody a lot easier. However, this does not always happen. Sometimes a parent wants to move out of the area. They may even want to move to a different part of the state or maybe even outside the state altogether for reasons such as a new job, a new relationship, or to be closer to family.

This can be a challenging situation for all involved. But besides emotions, there are also legal hurdles to overcome. A parent cannot simply move away without court approval. Find out more about Florida relocation laws by contacting the experienced Kissimmee relocation lawyers at Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law, P.A.

What is Relocation?

Under Florida law, relocation occurs when the custodial parent and child move at least 50 miles from their home for at least 60 consecutive days. There are several exceptions to this rule:  education, vacation, or medical services.

Because of this relocation, custody orders may need to be modified. That’s why the court needs to be informed of any possible relocation before it takes place. For the relocation to be legal, the parent must file a petition with the court and allow the other parent the ability to object to it. If the parent fails to do so, they can face criminal charges, such as contempt of court. The parent may be ordered to pay for the other parent’s attorney fees and even lose custody of the child.

Even if both parents agree to the move, the relocation still needs to go through proper legal channels. This requires a signed written agreement showing both parents’ consent as well as a time-sharing schedule for the non-relocating parent.

Why You Need a Relocation Lawyer

An attorney can help you with your petition. It must include specific information and language, such as the:

  • Location of the new home, including mailing address and phone number
  • Date of the proposed relocation
  • Reason for the move

Most importantly, you will need time-sharing details that explain how you will honor the other parent’s rights to custody and visitation once the child has relocated. If you fail to include this information, your petition will be denied.

Plus, the non-custodial parent can object to the petition for relocation. You will need to prepare for this situation. Work with a Kissimmee relocation lawyer from Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law, P.A. so you can understand the next steps.

Contact Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law, P.A. Today

Relocation may be necessary for a variety of reasons, but it can affect child custody. You can’t always do what you want after a divorce when the other party is involved, so it’s important to keep things legit.

The lawyers at Anderson & Ferrin Attorneys at Law, P.A. have extensive experience in this area and can help you meet your objectives. Get started with a free consultation with our experienced Kissimmee relocation lawyers. Fill out the online form or call 407-412-7041.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

We Accept

Pay Securely with Law Pay - Visa Mastercard Discover American Express
Skip footer and go back to main navigation