Orlando Domestic Violence Lawyer
Domestic violence is a serious issue that should be dealt with immediately. Victims of domestic violence or those who believe they are in danger of becoming a victim can file a petition for an injunction for protection, which is commonly referred to as a restraining order.
At Anderson & Ferrin, Attorneys at Law, P.A., our Orlando domestic violence lawyers assist individuals who are victims of physical or emotional abuse in petitioning the court for a domestic violence injunction for protection. We also represent individuals who have been falsely accused of abuse and have been named as respondents in an injunction for protection.
Florida courts grant injunctions for protection against domestic violence, dating violence, repeat violence and sexual violence. Contact us if you have been named as a respondent or need to petition the court for an injunction.
If you have been named as a respondent in a domestic violence injunction for protection, it is important to contact a knowledgeable attorney before taking any other action. Two common mistakes that individuals make in these cases are violating an injunction in an attempt to “work things out” with the petitioner or believing that you can represent yourself in an injunction matter.
We Will Work To Clear Your Name
A court will issue a temporary domestic violence injunction against a respondent if “clear and convincing” evidence is present. A temporary injunction is generally granted without a hearing given to the respondent. Florida law states that a temporary injunction is in effect for a period not to exceed 15 days; a full hearing will be scheduled before the temporary domestic violence injunction expires. The court may grant a continuance for the injunction if it finds good cause to do so.
Although temporary and permanent injunctions for protection are civil matters rather than criminal ones, the consequences can be serious and far-reaching. Beyond the obvious impact that an injunction can have on your ability to spend time with your family, it can negatively affect the outcomes of disputes regarding custody, child support, spousal support and more.
Domestic violence injunctions also become a permanent part of your public record, which can impact your existing job status or future job searches. Injunctions also impact your right to own firearms.
Five Types Of Domestic Violence Injunctions
The law firm of Anderson & Ferrin has a wealth of experience representing clients in family law cases such as domestic violence and injunctions.
Our attorneys have 22 years experience in multiple positions within the legal profession, which has given them a unique ability to not only achieve results but to assist clients through difficult, complicated and sometimes incredibly emotional events. Mrs. Anderson and Mr. Ferrin’s background has helped them develop a high level of expertise that is conducive to achieving results.
Types Of Injunctions
There are five types of injunctions that exist, depending on the nature of the threat:
- Domestic Violence InjunctionThis type of injunction can be filed if there has been an incidence of violence and the respondent is your spouse, former spouse, related to you by blood or marriage, living with you or has lived with you in the past or is the other parent of your child(ren), whether you have been married or lived together.
- Repeat Violence InjunctionA Repeat Violence Injunction is two or more incidents of violence that have been committed against you or a member of your immediate family by another person. At least one of those acts of violence must have occurred within the last six months of filing a petition.
- Sexual Violence InjunctionA Sexual Violence Injunction is where there has been an incidence of violence wherein a sexual act is committed or attempted. In order to receive an injunction, you must have reported the sexual violence to law enforcement and be cooperating in any resulting criminal proceeding.
- Dating Violence InjunctionYou may file a Dating Violence Injunction if there has been an incidence of violence between individuals who have had a continuing relationship of a romantic and intimate nature. The relationship must have existed within the past six months.
- Stalking Violence InjunctionYou may file a Stalking Violence Injunction if someone purposely follows or harasses you repeatedly over a period of time for no legitimate reason.
We Can Help You Anywhere In Central Florida
We serve clients throughout Central Florida. Our offices are conveniently located in Downtown Orlando. All our clients are treated like family and we offer a high level of accessibility to our clients throughout the legal process. Unlike many other firms, you will never be handed off to a paralegal. You will always work directly with an attorney.
We are not just attorneys at law, but counselors at law as well. We take both of these roles with utmost seriousness, and will provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your case.
Put An Experienced Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer In Your Corner
Domestic violence injunction hearings are formal court proceedings that require representation from an experienced injunction defense lawyer. We will gather evidence, interview witnesses, including the petitioner, and represent you at the hearing. We have a long track record of successfully defending individuals.
Call our Orlando domestic violence injunction lawyer at 407-412-7041 to schedule a consultation. After reviewing the facts of your case, we can provide a straightforward assessment and recommend the best steps to take.