Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Anderson & Ferrin Anderson & Ferrin
  • Free Initial Consultation
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

Orlando Child Support Lawyer

Family law issues involving children and money can be especially contentious, making it imperative that you seek knowledgeable legal counsel from experienced attorneys who will fight to protect your rights and ensure that your child’s interests are at the forefront.

Florida law states that both parents have a responsibility to provide financial support to each child until the child turns 18 or completes high school. In no case will child support extend beyond the age of 19 unless there are other extenuating circumstances such as a disability. Every state has its own requirements that may differ from Florida’s.

If an individual is failing to comply with a child support order, our Orlando child support lawyers can assist with child support enforcement. We can also guide you through the modifications process when significant changes require changes to original child support orders. Call us at 407-412-7041 today.

How Support Is Determined

Florida child support determinations are governed by guidelines that use a mathematical formula and consider a number of factors to determine the amount that one parent will pay the other. These factors include:

  • The number of children
  • The income of both parents
  • The amount of time the children will reside with each parent
  • Child care costs
  • Medical insurance and expenses
  • Educational needs of the children

The most common topic that arises in cases dealing with child support is the amount of overnight contact a parent receives, as that has a direct impact on the amount of child support that will be ordered in the case. Other issues that are handled in cases dealing with child support are tax dependency, life insurance as security for child support payments and child support arrearages.

When Support Can Be Modified

Child support is modifiable for various reasons such as:

  • Job loss or reduction in pay
  • Inability to work due to medical issues
  • Retirement
  • A child has reached the age of majority
  • A child no longer lives with a particular parent

Will You Have To Pay Arrears?

When a child support or paternity case is filed, the party seeking child support may go back retroactively up to two years from the date of filing the petition and seek arrears. This means that the party that support is being sought after could instantly owe child support arrears for up to two years.

These arrears can oftentimes be substantial and can have a significant impact on the amount of child support that an individual is ordered to pay. It is important that parties that have been paying child support without yet receiving an order keep detailed records in the form of money order stubs or copies of checks to make sure that they can prove that payments were made when the time comes.

Vigorously Protecting Your Interests

We will take the time to gain a full understanding of your situation in order to present a clear picture of your finances and your child’s needs. In certain situations, it may be necessary to deviate from the prescribed formula. These include situations where a child has extra educational or medical needs, or where the parents may have an extraordinary disparity in income.

When the parents’ combined net income exceeds a certain threshold, the court also may use more discretion in arriving at a child support award. If you suspect that your child’s other parent is hiding income in order to minimize the amount of child support or spousal support awarded, we work with investigative specialists who will help identify those hidden assets.

We also work with noncustodial parents to ensure they are not required to pay too much in child support. If a noncustodial parent loses a job or suffers some other setback, we can seek a temporary modification. If the financial impact is more permanent, we will seek a permanent modification.

Whether you are seeking child support or you want to protect yourself from paying more than your fair share, we have the knowledge to assist you in reaching a fair resolution efficiently and cost-effectively.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

If you are a parent and either are in need of child support or are having difficulty making your child support payments, we urge you to contact us at 407-412-7041 for a free consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

We Accept

Pay Securely with Law Pay - Visa Mastercard Discover American Express
Skip footer and go back to main navigation