Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Anderson & Ferrin Anderson & Ferrin
  • Free Initial Consultation
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

Orlando Interstate Custody Lawyer

Maintaining a strong relationship with children following the end of a relationship is often a parent’s top priority. That can be challenging, however, in today’s mobile society, where parents may live in different states or even different countries.

Anderson & Ferrin, Attorneys at Law, P.A., in Orlando, Florida, has extensive experience in all areas relating to child custody issues, including matters involving interstate and international law.

Child custody issues are fluid because people’s lives change. One of the biggest mistakes that parents make is not addressing child custody issues immediately when they begin to shift. Procrastination almost always results in larger legal problems — and the costs that come with them.

There are state and federal laws that govern child custody cases involving multiple states. Currently the most comprehensive law that governs child custody cases across state lines is the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which Florida has adopted. This act only covers issues of child custody and visitation. It does not apply to child support or any other issues.

Contact Anderson & Ferrin, Attorneys At Law, P.A., For Interstate Child Custody Matters

Custody matters are complex under normal circumstances. If one or both parents have moved out of the state that issued the order, it becomes doubly complex. Our Florida interstate child custody lawyers can explain your options and protect your rights.

Every state has its own time requirement for determining which state has jurisdiction over a child. Under Florida law, jurisdiction is given to the state where the child has resided for the majority of the six months prior to filing an initial case, or seeking a modification or domestication.

Another major issue with domestication is that either the former court must relinquish jurisdiction or neither party must continue to reside in the jurisdiction where the case was previously located. In cases where a child no longer lives in the previous jurisdiction but one parent does, a parent wishing to change jurisdiction needs to bring a motion in the state that has jurisdiction stating why that location is no longer the most suitable.

Clearly, interstate custody cases are complex and require the guidance of knowledgeable interstate custody lawyers. We have extensive experience representing parents who need local representation in matters of interstate custody and visitation disputes or interstate child support issues.

Call 407-412-7041 or use the contact form on this website to schedule a free consultation. We will review the facts of your case and provide a straightforward assessment of what you might expect as an outcome.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

We Accept

Pay Securely with Law Pay - Visa Mastercard Discover American Express
Skip footer and go back to main navigation